Sutherland Shire Football Association (SSFA) is deeply saddened to hear the news of the unfortunate passing of loving long servant and Football administrator Bill McIveen.
Bill commenced his commitment to Football in 1971 managing Heathcote’s Under 6B team, later in 1977 becoming the President of the Heathcote Waratahs after his involvement as a manager, junior Vice-President and senior Vice-President during the six years leading up.
In addition, Bill served as a Committee delegate for Heathcote and a qualified Referee, commencing this role in 1975 after passing the Referees Entrance exam and then serving as a referee for 15 years.
With notable work ethic, Bill was promoted to the role of Secretary at the Sutherland Shire Junior Soccer Football Association (now the SSFA) while still holding his senior position at Heathcote. With Bill’s continued service to the Heathcote Waratahs, he was awarded life membership in 1984.
Each year, Bills involvement in the sport grew more with roles being added to his impressive list of responsibilities.
An example of this was in 1990, when Bills football resume for that year alone included:
• Senior Vice President of Sutherland Association
• Chairman of PD & JC Sutherland Association
• President of Sydney Branch
• Junior Vice President NSW Amateur Soccer Federation
• Manager of the NSW U15 State Team
• Tour Leader for U12 team to Japan
• Life Member of Sutherland Association
• Life Member of Heathcote Waratahs
• Life Member of Heathcote East Public School P&C
Although Bill held various senior titles, he always remained a true supporter of grassroots and was prepared to do whatever was needed to get the job done and done well. Bill was regularly seen at local grounds participating in football events – watching and supporting teams – and seconding in an official capacity as needed.
With an evident commitment and professionalism displayed in administering football in both a club and association capacity, Bill entered into greater roles within Football and sport at a State and National level – as evidenced by the many positions that he has held.
But Bill never lost sight of the participants, for example, during the early 1990’s, Bill drove the FIFA officials and referees to and from the airport and the SFS in conjunction with the World Youth Championships, and was an elected Member of the NSW International Games Committee where he assisted with various International matches.
During this time in 1995, Bill was also elected as a Director of the NSWASF (now known as FNSW), a position he held for four years.
He was also given the prestigious honour of receiving the George Chruchward Medal for his outstanding services to the game in 2015.
Bill held many and varied positions within “football” over the last 45 years.
• Life Member Football NSW
• NSWASF (now Football NSW) Director and General Purposes Tribunal Member
• NSWSF Youth League Judiciary Chairman
• FNSW Match Commissioner
• State Award recipient (1996)
• Sydney Branch President, Snr Vice President and Secretary
• Life Member Sydney Branch
• Soccer NSW (Indoor) Director
• NSW International Games Committee Member
• Life Member Sutherland Shire Football Association (1987)
• Sutherland Shire Football Association – Senior Vice President, Secretary, Judiciary Chairman, Disciplinary Panel Chairman and Delegate to FNSW.
• Life Member Heathcote Waratah Football Club (1984)
• Heathcote President, Vice President, Secretary and Club Delegate to SSFA
• Sutherland Sharks FC Committee Member
• Team Coach at Local and Regional levels
• Team Manager at Local, Regional and State levels
Sutherland Shire Football Association and the extended football community would like to extend their deepest condolences to the McIveen family, and to his lovely wife Yvonne; may he rest in heavenly peace.