This year the SSFA will again be supporting a very important initiative called #PlayinPurple. This campaign aims to raise awareness and funds for pancreatic cancer, which is on track to become the third most common cancer killer in Australia this year.
Isabella Di Manno started the “Purple Socks” campaign in 2015 when her fiancé’s mother was battling the disease, and has seen it grow from 300 participants to over 3500 nationally in 2019. “This is the 5th year that the campaign has been running, and continues to grow from strength to strength. It’s amazing to see the participation, from players of all ages passionately getting involved. With the 5-year survival rate at only 10.7%, we need to keep being the voice of difference to improve outcomes of this terrible disease in the future” she said.
Last year the SSFA had the highest participation from any single football association in Australia – so we should be very proud of the support for such a great cause! 2020 presents another opportunity to be involved and increase player and community engagement, while supporting an important cause and we would like as many teams as possible to get involved in the #PlayinPurple round of Sept 5/6, 12/13 or 19/20 and support #pancreaticcancer awareness by wearing purple socks.
This year, Sydney FC & Perth Glory are offering free match day tickets for next season to clubs with high participation, and we would love to be able to present some of our teams with tickets, so we encourage all teams to get involved!
- #PlayinPurple raises awareness and critical funds for pancreatic cancer research
- Purple Socks come in 3 sizes and will be delivered to your club’s nominated address, so order in teams
- The 2020 initiative is supported by A-League clubs Sydney FC and Perth Glory
- Share photos on social media using @avnersfoundation #playinpurple #pancreaticcancer and tag in your A-League team
- Order your Purple Socks as soon as possible to avoid disappointment
- Purple Socks can be ordered on the online store here: https://fcw.com.au/shop-product/avner-foundation-socks/
More information can be found on the Avner Foundation website: https://www.avnersfoundation.org.au/take-action/playinpurple/